The Church of God in Christ Jesus at New Brunswick was founded in 1856 by a small congregation in a single room church-house in the tiny town of New Brunswick. More than 150 years later, although the town is gone, New Brunswick Church of Christ continues to preach the gospel and provide community support to our brothers and neighbors. We are an independent, non-denominational Christian Church.
Our Aim is:
– To establish Christ’s Church in our community according to the pattern left in the New Testament by Christ and His Apostles. We want to restore the church in doctrine, ordinances, and life.
– To exalt Christ above any sectarian or party loyalty and faith.
– To effect a unity of all Christians in the original church which Christ built and declared would not be destroyed. (Matthew 16:18)
– To fulfill the great commission. (Matthew 28:18-20)
To Achieve These Ends:
- We believe without reservation, that Christ is the eternal Son of God, the savior of the world. We accept the miracles of the virgin birth and bodily resurrection to be true
- We accept and hold to the Bible as the only rule of faith and practice for the church. (II Timothy 3:16-17). This is true because it is inspired and understandable to men.
- We believe in Jesus as the only creed in the Bible. (Matthew 16:16, Acts 4:12, Hebrew 13:8, I John 5:1)
- We strive earnestly to use Biblical names for Biblical ideas. Therefore, we call ourselves “Christians Only” and not the only Christians. (Acts 11:26, I Peter 4:16) We accept any Biblical name for the Church. (Romans 16:16, I Corinthians 1:2, Ephesians 5:23-24)
- We preach Biblical doctrine only. The Bible is explicit in what is necessary for salvation. This we preach and defend. (Jude 3) Also, we withstand every attempt to substitute human practice or theory. (Matthew 15:9, I Corinthians 4:6, Galatians 1:8-9)
- We pray without ceasing. (I Thessalonians 5:17)
- We practice only those ordinances found in the New Covenant.
- Immersion for the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Mark 16:15, Mark 16, Matthew 28:18-20, Acts 2:38, Acts 8:12, Romans 6:4, Colossians 2:12, Galatians 3:27, Acts 22:16)
- The Lord’s supper as a weekly appointment with Christ. (Luke22:19, I Corinthians 10:16-17, I Corinthians 11:23-30, Acts 20:7)
- We believe the Lord’s Day is the first day of the week. (John 20:26, Revelations 1:10, Acts 20:7, I Corinthians 16:2)
- We believe the support of the church is by tithes and offerings. (I Corinthians 9:7-14, Hebrews 7:1-10, II Corinthians 9:6-10, I Corinthians 16:2, Galatians 6:6-8, Acts 20:35, Luke 6:38, Malachi 3:9-10)
- We recognize no special class known as the clergy, but practice the universal priesthood of the believers, making all responsible for carrying forward the work of the church. (Matthew 23:8-9, I Peter 2:9)
- We are congregational and independent in our local church government. We are governed by elders, locally elected, and served by deacons with the approval of the congregation. (I Timothy 3:1-7, Hebrews 13:7, I Peter 5:2-3, I Timothy 3:8-13)
- We are willing to unite with anybody on the Bible and the Bible alone. (John 17) This means unity in essentials and liberty in matters of opinion while showing love in all things.